Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 20, 2011: Departure

Today started late, around noon.  Probably a good thing after our last late night in Chile.  We headed out as a group around 1 to get lunch, our last meal together.  Lots of us got lomo a lo pobre, a common dish in Chile.  It's steak with a sunny side up egg, fries, and sauteed onions.  Definitely a filling meal full of carbs.  Soon it was time to get on the bus and head to the airport.  I don't think any of us were ready to go.  I slept through basically all of the hour and a half or so bus ride to the airport, so it seemed like we were there in no time.  We all checked our bags and made our way through security, then heading to the gate to wait for our plane.  Soon enough we were on the ten hour flight back to the states.  Luckily, I managed to trade seats with another passenger and was able to sit next to Briana for the trip home.  The flight is much more bearable when you're able to sit next to someone you know.  I tried to sleep, but ended up basically being half asleep all night.  Around 6 AM we landed in Atlanta.  Now came the fun of getting through customs.  Waiting in line took long enough, got to love U.S. security.  We got our bags back, rechecked them, and headed through another layer of security once more.  Then it was time to go our separate ways.  I have to say it was a pretty heart-wrenching moment.  I really hated to see everyone go.  I'm really hoping we all stay in touch and that we don't become strangers next year.  A few hours later I was on my plane back to Pittsburgh.  It was a beautiful day, and the flight was great.  In what seemed like no time at all we were on the ground back in PA.  I made my way off my plane and to the baggage check to find my parents waiting for me.  What a bittersweet moment.  It's good to be home, but man am I going to miss Chile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home